Friday, February 12, 2010

Chicken Chili - Success!!!

Yes! It was a success! Now let me define a successful new recipe in my home. I need my husband (a real meat and potatoes man in construction) to like it. I need my 12 year old to eat it without me threatening her every 5 minutes. It also means that it is high protein, good carbs and fits into my nutritional demands for a "healthy" meal. I do have to admit that the sodium is high, but otherwise it's good. It was a hit!

Recipe:

1/2 bag navy beans
1 chicken breast (left over chicken from previous meal even)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1 cup Chicken Stock
1 tsp Sea Salt
Dash of Garlic Salt
1/8 - 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1/2 - 1/4 cup chopped peppers (optional)

Soak the navy beans in water overnight. Drain and rinse. Cook on low in a crockpot (slow cooker) for 4 hours then add chicken. (I cut 1 chicken breast up into small pieces, sauteed in cooking spray, liberally doused with garlic salt and pepper) Add onion and peppers and chicken stock. Turn to high. After about an hour add all the seasonings. I learned when I was 21 that if you season beans before they are soft - they will NEVER get soft!!

I had 1 frozen chicken breast in my freezer which is what actually started me thinking about and building this recipe. You can use any kind of left over chicken you have in your fridge and of course you can make more. I only need to feed 3 people and when had a good bit of leftovers. You can also make it spicier but remember - my 12 year old. You can also use less salt and make it healthier. Served it with cornbread and baked sweet potatoe. Hope you like it.

Going to look outside at our precious 3 inches of snow! See you guys tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Snow! I kinda miss snow, a little. There was a time i lived in Cleveland and we got SNOW!

    It burned me out for a while:)

    Enjoy for me!

    B

    ReplyDelete